But in an effort to save money on groceries we've gone back to meal planning for the week, so this fit in quite nicely with a new cook book. I planned on making 4 of her recipes for dinner in a week. Overkill I know, but I really need to justify all the books I've bought, and so I need to USE them.
Rare roast beef with potato and radish salad
Yoghurt chicken curry bowl
Black bean tacos
The idea behind this book is that when you eat well 80% of the time, the other 20% isn't quite as crucial - so Gizzi aims at helping you choose quick, delicious and light midweek meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner), which then frees you up for weekend feasts, so there's a real range of recipes in there. I haven't yet cooked from the feasting section, so I'll update the post once I have!
Rare roast beef with potato salad was good - it's something that we like anyway so it wasn't a new combination for us. I made a few changes though, and they all still worked. I subbed the watercress for basil I picked from the garden, and yoghurt for the creme fraiche. The aromatic basil (which is MUCH stronger from your garden!) worked really well with the creamy dressing and tomatoes (which I added apple cider vinegar to, for a bit more of a kick). Another kinda big substitution was beef fillet for kangaroo. Kangaroo is well priced and super lean, as well as being a more environmentally friendly protein to eat as they are much better adapted to our harsh Australian environment and require less resources. I didn't take a picture (rookie mistake) but it comes out looking good.
I feel like there is way more to explore in this book, I haven't even gone into the puddings or weekend feasts yet - so I'm really looking forward to it! I do know that Bri from Eat Meets West has made the Vietnamese iced coffee cheesecake, and you can find that post here. I don't know if it was simply the return to home cooked, healthy food after an indulgent xmas, or it was these recipes and what they had in them but I felt so much better after eating them. My body was thanking me!
Having only scratched the surface with the book, I can't wait to get stuck in and try more!